One of the lessons of the year is about disposition.
Put simply production of the fresh food is only half the battle. Maybe less than half!
I have only one plan for so called “Pickling Cucumbers” and that’s pickling them.
That’s it. Just plan A. No plan B.
Next year I will still have pickles and Plan A will be totally useless.
It’s fun though. Having to think of other ways to use and preserve.
(With Brady Lane in the background.)
The little baby apple trees in the thin food forest section beside the Two Family Field have begun to produce.
Of course I’ve already forgotten what species this is.
We planted 5 rows of Beta vulgaris and 5 rows of Cosmic purple carrots.
All from the Seed Collection in Upper Ferntree Gully.
On the GRID this is 31 B & C but there is bad news about the grid!
The grid was paced out and each pace was closer to a yard than a metre.
When I put in the irrigation it was set to a metric grid. So the old grid is in yards and we have an irrigation zone set to metres. I’ll have to update the system. The new grid will be 30 x 6 metres. It is worth redrawing it methinks because the watering sprinklers can be set to water almost exactly along any angle between 90 & 270 degrees and as such it makes sense to have the east west paths between the sprinkler heads as the lines to set the beds against.
After only a couple of days of not picking the fruits and were overloaded.
The courgettes are the biggest offender.
I’ve already used over 3kg in breads today & I would estimate there over 10kg ready to go!
Tomatoes finally started to ripen.
I’ve turned off the sprinklers for the tomatoes a week ago and that may have helped. Many locals are struggling with tomatoes. Dominique had kids in her plot which is only 120metres away.
Our marsupial friends seem to like the gardens just as much despite all the works.
It has been a good few weeks of harvesting. We are eating more and more of our own produce.
So the garlics was harvested.
We planted a mixed green manure crop. Buckwheat was the most successful given the time of year and the bees were very happy.
After a 9 weeks we knocked it down, covered it in comfrey and then covered it. We will plant straight through this in a few weeks time for Garlic Crop Mark II.