Cabbage Massacre.

We lost almost all of our last cabbage seedling to slugs we think. So we had to plant more. It was more like a re-sew than an interplanting. I’m guessing they tasted quite good from a slugs point of view.

Advertisements

Garlic. Year two. Month two.

Second round of garlic planting.


We already have two large rows (1-6 DEF) planted of the garlic harvested from earlier in 2017.

Today we uncovered the area known as 1-6 ABC. We had used shade cloth single layer. This had allowed the water through but grass and “Romulia” had grown a bit.

We pulled that up. Burned the grass back. And planted in a super dense pattern.

The south half of Plot 1-6 B-C has 9-10 across. All Australian Purple. Bought.

The north half has 7-8 across. All harvested 2017 crop.

We started into the next row along 1-6 A-B. This was unfinished today. It has about 50 cloves of the Australian Purle to the south.

There’s a gap in the middle. Then there is  a new species from a friend in Rye called Featival. Known for storing well.

That now fills 5-6 A-B.

New Plan; Yards and Metres.

The Ample Sufficiency Paddock started as a rectangle approximately 32 metres by 6 metres.

So we’ve drew a simple grid that we will use to illustrate out plot. The grid looked like this;

img_8376

That was a year ago. The original post is here;

https://amplesufficiencyblog.wordpress.com/2016/04/18/a-simple-plan/

Things have changed a little. Unfortunately I will have to change the plan too.

When we put in the irrigation I noted that the longer axis was inaccurate. My strides are just short of a metre. The original Patch was 30 metres by 6 metres. Thus the original grid was closed to Yards than Metres.

The irrigation is set out on a 6×6 metre grid because thats the recommended distance between the individual sprinkler points.

So I should set the entire thing out again. This will mean that the older grid references will be slightly wrong. I am sure we can cope.

So the original grid was 30 metres by 6 metres. So 5 separate 6 metres by 6 metres squares. We then added a new plat of 6x6metres at the south end.

img_0956

So now we have a 36 metre by 6 metre plot.

Each 6×6 metres square has a highly flexible sprinkler at each corner. The watering system works in Zones which will be superimposed on the planning and design of the plot. There are 4 zones. Red, Blue, Yellow and Green.

Seen as it has to change I have also decided to set the grid out starting at the south end rather than the north end. Thats because the point at which the two families meet is always at the South end of the plot.

The following drawing shows the new design and hopefully this will not require any tinkering for years to come.

img_0957

Spuds

Spuds; love hate etc.


We planted spuds at the north west corner.

Just 2 metres by 9 metres. It’s a sheltered corner and gets afternoon shade very early. We’ve run one entire crop through it and the most northern plants were harvested first. Above the first two thirds has been cleaned up, puffed up, covered up and rested. 

Below you can see the first of the second round in the foreground.


I’ve loved the spuds but they have an odd place for the two families as there are multiple ailments and dietary restrictions that mean several of us can’t or don’t eat potatoes.

Yet when I come down the plot with no idea what to cook for dinner I’m always happy to have spuds available. Probably my conditioning. Not just a cultural association, I am Irish. Also a self sustaining drive. If we have spuds it is a large part of the meal. When I look at the plate I see most of it is from my garden and that makes me happy.

The amount you get for so little effort makes it easy to see how they became so important to Ireland during English rule. 

That’s a whole other essay.