New Plan; Yards and Metres.

The Ample Sufficiency Paddock started as a rectangle approximately 32 metres by 6 metres.

So we’ve drew a simple grid that we will use to illustrate out plot. The grid looked like this;

img_8376

That was a year ago. The original post is here;

https://amplesufficiencyblog.wordpress.com/2016/04/18/a-simple-plan/

Things have changed a little. Unfortunately I will have to change the plan too.

When we put in the irrigation I noted that the longer axis was inaccurate. My strides are just short of a metre. The original Patch was 30 metres by 6 metres. Thus the original grid was closed to Yards than Metres.

The irrigation is set out on a 6×6 metre grid because thats the recommended distance between the individual sprinkler points.

So I should set the entire thing out again. This will mean that the older grid references will be slightly wrong. I am sure we can cope.

So the original grid was 30 metres by 6 metres. So 5 separate 6 metres by 6 metres squares. We then added a new plat of 6x6metres at the south end.

img_0956

So now we have a 36 metre by 6 metre plot.

Each 6×6 metres square has a highly flexible sprinkler at each corner. The watering system works in Zones which will be superimposed on the planning and design of the plot. There are 4 zones. Red, Blue, Yellow and Green.

Seen as it has to change I have also decided to set the grid out starting at the south end rather than the north end. Thats because the point at which the two families meet is always at the South end of the plot.

The following drawing shows the new design and hopefully this will not require any tinkering for years to come.

img_0957

Advertisements

Early Autumn Ideas

Well; summer kind of never came and autumn has been super warm. It’s not a typical year but then what is?

While I am gathering these fruits I thought I would gather some thoughts too.

Tomatillos.

These have been an early autumn revelation for me. I don’t think I have convinced the kids yet but tomatillo salsa verde alone could consume half this crop! Today I will try to make a pickle or an “achar” out of them as we have the Maestro in the house. (Dominique’s mum is visiting.)

Tomatillos require better support next season. We used Wood and Jute but they would do better supported like tomatoes. The nature of the plant is to drop its fruit on the ground when it’s done so you need to be able to get in there without compromising the stalks too much.


So next year I will try to build a supporting frame as illustrated above in blue. The blue maybe wire or “rio”.The fruit can fall and be found easily.

Tomatoes.

It’s been a bad tomato year for most people. For us the tigerellas were the clear winner. Our support structures were over whelmed. Wire support needs to be under significant tension. “Rio” is again an option. The tomatoes need more space, more air, more support and more protection from birds etc. 

Pickling Cucumbers/Cornichon.

A great success. The only issue is that the crop comes and comes and comes and you never get enough the right size to pickle in large amounts. Thus you really need to pick every day and store in the fridge until you have a good quantity to preserve. I kept finding overgrown fruit, too big to pickle. This is a small daily job. The pickles are popular though.

Beetroot.

Root vegetable of the year for me. You can eat any part of it and so many ways. I’ll be planning more beetroot and possibly looking into some interesting varieties. Easy. Dependable. Yummy.

Rats Tail Radish.

Unbelievably productive. Next year I’ll be thinking of these guys as a companion to the cornichon. They are less fickle about when being picked BUT if left too long they get too tough. Still there is always enough to top up a jar of cornichon pickle and the two work well together.

Carrots & Beetroot

So.

We planted 5 rows of Beta vulgaris and 5 rows of Cosmic purple carrots.

All from the Seed Collection in Upper Ferntree Gully.

On the GRID this is 31 B & C but there is bad news about the grid!

The grid was paced out and each pace was closer to a yard than a metre.

When I put in the irrigation it was set to a metric grid. So the old grid is in yards and we have an irrigation zone set to metres. I’ll have to update the system. The new grid will be 30 x 6 metres. It is worth redrawing it methinks because the watering sprinklers can be set to water almost exactly along any angle between 90 & 270 degrees and as such it makes sense to have the east west paths between the sprinkler heads as the lines to set the beds against.

Bum.

 After the Garlic.

Garlic out.

Weeds out.

Wooden raised paths out.

Earth levelled and fluffed.

Cover crop seeds sewn. (We have left over winter cover crop and we mixed it with buckwheat.)

Black cover for 2 days. (Hopefully to decrease loss to birds and the heat seems to have encouraged sprouting.)

Cover off. Which is shown above.

I’ve made a bigger trench for the irrigation pipes. I’ll cover this with a generous amount of wood chips.

Wood chips seem to be the easiest and most economical path solution.

The chips are available from stockpiles in the sports ground across the road. All my trees that get close to the powerlines are chipped by the power line people and they dump it in the reserve even though I ask them to dump it in my property.

The whole organisational of the Plot will be set of a new grid defined by the irrigation points.

More on that later.

Irrigation Festival 

Having figured out the irrigation system for the main garden I have finally put one in for the original Veggie garden AKA Doms Garden.

I’ve wanted to do this for years but Dom prefers hand watering. But we have to be away for a while this year and I had all the stuff so….. let’s get trenching!